We got a little bored on Saturday night after working on some house projects and watching a movie, so we got this idea to play some music on my iPhone for the baby to see what he would react to. It started because I was working on a canvas for his bathroom that uses some of the lyrics to Swallowed in the Sea by Coldplay. I figured I should see if he likes the song as much as we do, since I had just spent a lot of time on the project! He didn't react much to that song, but he did to some others. For memory's sake, here's how our little experiment went...
1. Coldplay - Charlie Brown (Ryan's Pick) - Verdict: Basically no movement. I actually think he was trying to move himself away from the phone. I can't blame him... this song is not one of my favorites.
2. Jay-Z - Dirt off Your Shoulder (My Pick) - Verdict: Again, basically no movement. This makes me question his taste. Come on, son, everybody loves Hova.
3. Dave Matthews Band - One Sweet World (Joint Pick) - Ryan wanted to play him some DMB since they're our favorite band and I chose this one because it's my favorite opener to hear when we see them live. It just sounds like Summer to me. Verdict: He is definitely our son. He LOST IT when this song started playing. I don't know if it's the slow intro or what, but he was moving so much that my iPhone was moving up and down on my stomach. I've never been so proud of him!
4. Justin Bieber - Baby (My Pick) - I secretly wanted him to love this song so it would totally freak Ryan out. Verdict: Nothing. Not so much as a flutter. Apparently, he is not a Belieber.
5. Taylor Swift - The Best Day (My Pick) - I thought maybe he liked country and for some reason this song is the one that popped into my head. I really didn't give country music a chance, since this isn't actually country. Verdict: Very little movement. I think he was intrigued, but not exactly a fan. He's probably just heard how bad she is live.
6. Kings of Leon - Talihina Sky acoustic version (Ryan's Pick) - This is my all-time favorite version of my all-time favorite Kings of Leon song, so Ryan thought our son might like it too. Verdict: We have a winner. He went crazy, kicking up a storm and moving the phone again. I see Bonnaroo in his future.
7. Kings of Leon - Back Down South (Ryan's Pick) - We decided to stick with the Kings and try Ryan's favorite. Verdict: Still moving a little, but slowed down a LOT from the previous song.
8. Dave Barnes - Nothing Fancy (My Pick) - This was our wedding song, so I was hoping he would be a fan. Verdict: He was still moving around a lot but not much kicking. Maybe he was just slow dancing??
9. Kentucky Fight Song (My Pick) - Since this one is a non-negotiable in his life, we thought we would expose him early. I mean that too. He can pick his own religion, he can be a cross-dresser but by God he will NOT be a Louisville fan. (See Also: Tennessee, Duke, North Carolina, Indiana, etc. He can ask his parents for the complete list upon arrival) Verdict: He liked it. I wish I could say it was his favorite, but it wasn't. He was moving and rolling and kicking, but it wasn't the biggest reaction of the night. It's okay, I'm sure he won't hear the happy tune of the fight song much until football season is over, so we'll work on it.
So the big winners were Talihina Sky and One Sweet World, and the big losers were Charlie Brown and Bieber. I'd say he has a pretty good ear, seeing as how his ears have only been working for a few weeks now. We strangely had a lot of fun with this, so I'm sure we'll be doing it again. I hope we can show him this one day when he's older and likes music so he can see what we subjected him to before he was born. I have a feeling he'll be pretty proud of himself for the reaction to Bieber!